- Ingredients :
- 500 g of domestic corn flour
- 0,5 l of cold milk
- 200 g of aged crumbled white cow cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 small pack of bread crumbs (about 50 g)
- 1 small cup of cooking oil or fat
- 1 small pack of a baking powder (5g)
- Preparation :
1. Pour 500 g of domestic corn flour into a vessel, add a small pack of a baking powder and whisk it well.
2. Pour 0,5 l of a cold milk into the flour and whisk it well, also.
3. Add 200 g of aged crumbled white cow cheese to this compound, add 2 scrumbled egg yolks and 1 table spoon of fat or 2 small cups of oil and whisk it well.
4. Make the two egg whites foam, add to the mixture and whisk it well.
5. Prepare a casserole (square-about 500 cm2, round-about 25 cm in diameter or rectangular with the same facet size and with approximately height of 5 cm). Lubricate well all inner si
des of a casserole with the oil and sprinkle the ground bread crumbs all over the casserole.
6. Pour mixed mass from the vessel into the casserole, spread and arrange it equally along the casserole.
Instead of a classic casserole, it could be used a baking casserole with many small molds. In this case, fill all molds of the casserole with the mass mixture ready for baking.
7. Previously, warm the oven to the temperature of 200 degrees of celsius, put the casserole into the oven and bake the the Serbian corn bread until its surface get the light brown color, then, lower the temperature to 180 degrees until the end of a baking process, when it gets the darker golden yellow color.Total baking time lasts about 45-60 minutes, but watch for the baking procedure, from time to time, if the corn bread would not be overdone.
- Serving :
It should be served hot as an appetizer or a contribution to the main meal, meat, fish, but it could be served for breakfast with a milk, cheese, sour milk, yogurt,fried bacon, Serbian dry ham (pršuta), barbeque etc. Very delicious old Serbian traditional recipe, very nice looking when baked like small molded shapes. Some children call it “golden grits”.
Enjoy and talk to all others!