- 1 whole chicken (medium size) cut to pieces
- 5-6 potatoes (medium size)
- 1 onion (bigger size)
- 2-3 soup spoons of cooking oil
- 1 tea spoon of salt
- 1 tea spoon of Vegeta (a condiment)
- 1 soup spoon of a ground red pepper (not hot)
- 2,5-3 dl of water
Dumplings dough ingredients:
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 tea spoon of salt
- 6-7 soup spoons of wheat flour
- 1 dl of water
Dumplings dough preparation:
Pour 6-7 soup spoons of flour into a soup-plate, crack and drop one whole egg into it, add 1/2 tea spoon of salt, and slowly add 1 dl of water. Stir all ingredients well until you get a ductile dough (like a chewing gum). Prepare and leave it aside while the chicken stew is cooking (about 10-15 minutes before the cooking process is coming to the end). Than add the dumplings dough to the cooking stew according to described technique in a chicken stew cooking procedure.
Chicken stew preparation:
1. Turn on the electric stove and put a pan on the stove plate.
2. Pour 2-3 soup spoons of cooking oil into a pan just to cover its bottom, add the peeled and chopped onion.
3. In the meantime, while the plate is warming, wash and peel 5-6 potatoes, cut them to the pieces and add it over the onion.
4. Than, already prepared and cut the chicken meat pieces arrange around the pan over potatoes, add 1 tea spoon of salt and 1 tea spoon of Vegeta (a condiment), add 1 soup spoon of a red pepper and pour 2,5-3 dl of water.
5. Optionally, you can add small cut of a hot pepper according to taste.
6. Cook it on the usual temperature (like with any cooking process) about 1 hour until the meat and potatoes have been done.
7. After about 45 minutes of chicken stew cooking drop slowly, with the tea spoon, piece by piece, already prepared dumplings dough into the cooking stew, on the next manner: take with the tea spoon prepared dough, piece by piece, and drop into the cooking stew. Before each dough piece taking and dropping, sink the tea spoon into the stew’s liquid, take the piece of dough and slowly drop it into the stew until the end of a dough. Wait about 10-15 minutes, while the dumplings were cooked
8. Turn off the electric stove and leave the cooked chicken stew on a warm plate for awhile.It’s done.
Serbian domestic chicken stew can be prepared and served weekly as very tasty main meal (lunch) always followed by salads as an contribution like: fresh cabbage salad, pickled cucumbers, tomato salads, turshia salad etc., mostly in family lunch gatherings.